Thursday, May 23, 2013

Still Alice

As I mentioned in Tuesday's post, this past weekend was a long weekend in Canada. Lots of fun to be had poolside, out with friends, etc. - but the best thing I did this weekend, was read the book Still Alice. I started it Monday morning and finished it Monday evening around dinnertime. I had not intended to zip through it in a day. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did that. Two or three days maybe, but one? I could not put it down. I was moved. I was riveted. I was utterly and completely invested. Obviously. 

Still Alice, book, book review, reading I was late to the party with reading this one so by now I would assume most have heard of it, if not read it. If not, this is the brief Google Books description: "Still Alice" is a compelling debut novel about a 50-year-old woman's sudden descent into early onset Alzheimer's disease, written by first-time author Lisa Genova, who holds a Ph.D in neuroscience from Harvard University. 

First of all, I can't believe this is a first novel by Lisa Genova. It is so beautifully and intelligently written. She manages to touch every emotion in you and make you feel strongly about Alice, as if you know her. Next, this book is an education. Before this book I was aware of Alzheimer's disease, but not necessarily early onset Alzheimer's, or that there was a difference between it and that which is commonly diagnosed in the elderly. I appreciated learning more, and I appreciated not just observing what Alice was going through, but those around her as well. Before I go on I should disclose I am ABSOLUTELY a crier (happy, sad, basically any emotion aside from neutral - my mom calls me her Kristin Bell if you know that reference). Although touched I didn't expect to cry in this book. The 60 or so pages didn't have me crying, they had me sobbing. Seriously sobbing. And I'm not giving anything way - it wasn't necessarily sad tears. I definitely got overwhelmed by the beauty in the story. 

If you have not read this book, I really think you should. I think it could be read and enjoyed by everyone in the sense that it is that kind of writing. I think it should be read by everyone in the sense that it is that kind of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment