Friday, May 3, 2013

Fitness Friday: My Basics

You may not want fitness advice and tips, and I may not be "qualified" to give them, but one thing I love reading on other blogs is what other people are doing and what works for them. In general I find it motivating and can spark ideas! So with bathing suit season pretty much upon us, I will be starting Fitness Friday themed posts! I want to share some things that I've learned or that personally work for me when getting fit and being healthy, and hopefully I will get some comments about what works for you! 

I will start at the beginning and try to outline my fitness regime. It’s hard to define because it is never the same. On average I probably work out 4 times a week. At times it’s more and at times less depending on the season, or what I’ve got going on any particular week. I want to say it right now that I do NOT let the gym take priority in my life if plans happen or something comes up. I plan for the gym and make time for it (like anything else), but life first, then plan the gym around that. 


fitness, gym, workout, health, healthyWith summer approaching I am definitely on a fitness kick. The past few weeks I have been pretty strict with my workouts and they have been more like 5 or 6 times a week. I realize that might sound like a lot but they are not all intense workouts. I very much like to run (or rather jog - I rarely get up to 6 miles/hour which is technically what running is). It’s something I have to work up to (as far as distance, speed and consistency) but I enjoy being outside and working with different terrain. It’s my favourite cardio. I also love yoga. Yoga is a big one for me, not just physically but mentally too! I find it very calming and it can almost be like hitting the "reset" button after a busy day. There are many days I will just do yoga. Because it’s so excellent for your body when you mix in other workouts here and there, I try to do that whenever I can. My latest one in the mix is Jillian Michaels Shred class that my gym just started offering. I love it and I hate it. It's so intense but a perfect addition to my routine and it's timing couldn't be better! It’s a known fact that everyone's body responds to different things and different workouts, but through the years of trying different workouts and listening to my body, it’s definitely running and yoga that do it for me. 

On now to motivation. Motivation is hard. It can be the hardest part. Our minds are very powerful beasts and it’s about no longer being your own worst
critic and becoming your biggest cheerleader! Only you know what your ultimate personal goal/desire is, and only you can get yourself there. My thing is that I cannot wait to throw on a bikini for the first time this season, and I tend to live in bikinis all summer long. As a result my current goal is toning. It is so difficult, so tedious. I find toning to be the worst. It's a difficult change to spot since it's not an obvious, drastic, or quick change, and because of that, it can be hard to stay motivated. I really have to find an inner motivation by telling myself, "it's not for today, it's not for tomorrow, it's for a month from now", or two months from now! And YOU have to be the one motivating YOU. You can absolutely find supporters in friends and family, but at the end of the day it's personal. That's why I when I work out I tend to do it solo. Not necessarily on purpose but I think it’s important to march to the beat of your own drum. A friend of mine who's a trainer said that so many people HAVE to have a workout buddy and, more often than not, they use each other as a crutch (without realizing it) and end up not meeting their goals. That's not to say I don't ever workout with a friend - I will definitely join someone for their workout and I also share my workout plans with friends and welcome them to join me! It's just that I control my own routine. No coordinating with anyone, and no dependency. You get to work out at your own pace, and it's on your own when you can push yourself and your limits and meet those goals faster. I definitely do. Your own personal motivation is more powerful than anything else, and by finding it, you’re more likely to succeed!  


With summer approaching is anyone else on a fitness kick? Do you make plans and goals? 

7 comments:

  1. i totally agree that only yourself can get you to a goal or to be motivated! i need to work on this big time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a mindset that you really have to get into! I also think it's also not just about getting motivated but STAYING motivated!

      Delete
  2. I would never consider under 6 MPH not "running"- haha. It's hard. And I agree that Yoga is like a reset button! I would love to try the Jillian Michael's program- I did it before like 3 years ago but I want to try her updated stuff. Everyone just raves about it. And I TOTALLY agree that it's a mental game more than anything else.

    Thanks for sharing these! Like you- I love reading about other people's fitness on their blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like this kind of post - and thanks for sharing!

      I was totally new to Jillian Michaels anything (never even seen her on TV) and I am in such a LOVE-HATE relationship with her program, haha! There's no doubt that you can tell it can change your body. You feel it which I love!

      Delete
  3. I like what you said about planning your gym around your life and not the other way around. Others get so immersed in losing weight that they lose their daily lives. Yes, health is important, but it means nothing if your life goes to waste because of it. And on motivation. Yes it's hard, but we have our unique ways to get inspired. It's only a matter of finding out what works for you. Thanks for sharing, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've never liked it when someone is always busy but it's the gym. It's great to be dedicated and have a plan, but I THINK the key to happiness and balance is flexibility as well! Motivation is a very unique thing, but finding out what the key to yours is, is the best!

      Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  4. Try taking “before and after” photos. Take a picture of yourself before engaging in any “healthy lifestyle” activity. You may record your body measurements such as waistline and weight. Maybe putting up an “inspirational wall” of photos of bikini-clad individuals with beautifully toned bodies. After a week of exercising and eating right, you can take another picture of yourself and again record your measurements. Don't feel bad if the improvement isn't apparent during the first few weeks. Try these methods for motivation purposes.

    ReplyDelete