Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Book Review: Under the Dome

So, it feels like it took a million years but I finally finished reading the book Under the Dome by Stephen King. Just like when it took me a long time to read the Steve Jobs biography, I want to say right away that taking a long time to read it was a matter of finding time and is not a reflection of how I felt about the book. 

To start, I will say this was the very first Stephen King book I have ever read. Like most people I
have seen a few of his movies (like The Shining, and The Mist) but never a book, so I didn't really know what to expect of his writing. As you may know, Under the Dome was actually turned into a mini-series on TV (it ran over the summer I believe?) but I wanted to be sure to read before checking that out because I actually knew many people who LOVED the book. Those people are also not necessarily Stephen King readers which is why I was intrigued. While on the topic of the mini series, I should say that I haven't really heard anything good about it. Especially from those who have read the book. 

Back to the book: I thought it was really good and really interesting. The concept is a small town that one sunny day has an invisible dome fall over it keeping the townspeople trapped and any outsiders from entering. The way it happens (in the first few pages so this isn't a huge spoiler alert) is so quickly and unexpectedly that a plane flying in the air crashes into the dome; any cars traveling in or out at that moment also crash into the invisible wall; a woman gardening in her backyard which is just at the official town border has her arm severed. And that's just how it begins. The rest is actually more about the survival instincts of those trapped inside and how they react and behave when this happens to them. I thought it was amazing how Stephen King was able to (in my opinion) accurately depict how the minds of people work - almost like trapped wild animals - and how they would handle this whole situation.

The details in his writing were impressive. There were so many characters in this book, and their sub-plots so detailed I got really sucked in and was fascinated. At times you get caught up in the events taking place you forget that the dome is the catalyst to everything that's happening. The only thing, is that it had a VERY Stephen King type ending. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's for sure a thing. Being a massive book over a thousand pages I would not let the ending prevent you from reading this incredibly interesting and unique story. I thought it was SO good and would also be open to reading another of his books based on his fantastic writing alone!

Have you read this book, or any Stephen King books? As always too, I'm open for fave book recommendations - especially with the holidays approaching!

Next up: I have already begun reading the book The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I have heard nothing but amazing things about it and I know they're making a movie of it, so I wanted to jump on it. So far, really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment