Thursday, August 8, 2013

I LOVE BROCCOLI!

As a kid I was the weirdo that love LOVE loved broccoli! I'm not sure if it was my Gramma's cheese sauce (actually I'm sure it was my Gramma's cheese sauce) but I longed for it, enjoyed it immensely, and would often return for seconds of just it. As an adult of course I've not lost my love of broccoli, especially the steamed-with-cheese variety!

With this in mind, when I stumbled across a recipe for "Broccoli Cheese Bites" I could not resist giving them a go! They looked delicious and easy enough to make - and they were both. Because it was kind of an experiment to see if they were any good, I made them just for me and had a bunch leftover. I took a few to work the next day and microwaved them for a light healthy lunch - they were just as good then too which was awesome! I could definitely see making them as a side sometime or just the way I did, to take to work. 

broccoli, recipe, cheese, I followed the original recipe almost exactly except for a few modifications with the ingredients - I steamed broccoli florets instead of buying frozen, and I used shredded part-skim mozzarella instead of cheddar cheese. Also they called for seasoned Italian breadcrumbs, which I couldn't find, so I made due with regular ones. The ingredients are:
  • I steamed up and chopped a full (500g) bag of broccoli florets
  • 1 1/2 cups of shredded part-skim mozzarella
  • 3 eggs
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup of breadcrumbs
From there all you do is mix the ingredients well, make small patties with your hands, place them on a baking sheet, bake at 375 for 30 minutes flipping once - voila! Super easy and super delicious, and with the part-skim cheese modification, not half bad for you either!

1 comment:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious! Love it! I totally loved broccoli when I was a kid too, but my mom would also cover it in cheese sauce! Haha.

    xo-
    Jody
    www.jodybeth.com

    ReplyDelete